Monday, March 4, 2013

Abby Schwing

I looked up quickly and reacted just in time to return the volleyball back over the net. My mind was in another place as I realized it was my turn to serve. I remember my nerves taking over my body and I could sense the pressure I felt from the spectators, their eyes burned through me. All I wanted was for the game to end because it was October, 26th, it was Alumni Weekend at Mercerburg Academy. As I stepped up to the line I lined my body up so that my hips pointed at the opposing team. My coach from the sideline yelled, "Abby hit the back left corner!" I lifted my left arm up, ball in hand and with one swift movement I threw it up and like clockwork my right arm hit it right in the spot I was aiming for. The opposing team was not ready for my placement, the back left corner scurried to the ball but failed, the sound of the whistle hummed in my ear and the ref called an ace. I bent down to adjust my tight kneepads so that they sat perfectly on my sticky knees and then came up to catch the falling droplet of sweat rolling off my forehead.

No comments:

Post a Comment